Monday, February 28, 2011

Happy 2nd Anniversary! Let's celebrate with Sugar Cookie-Chocolate Crunch Fudge

Today is Shaking N Baking's second anniversary! Woot!
When I started this blog I was not really sure where it would go or how long it would last. I am excited that it is still up and running and with just a few exceptions I have been fairly consistent in my posting. I hope that you (whoever you are!!) enjoy reading my ramblings and the recipes I share.

To celebrate, I thought I would make something chocolate again. The perfect recipe to try came across my path via a calendar that I get every year from Pillsbury. The calendar has a new recipe each month and this is February’s recipe this year. It is a Bake-Off winner too!

I also thought that this would be a great thing to send to my niece Jessica in our ongoing cookie tin. I am hoping it won’t melt when it crosses the frozen East Coast into the warmer climates of the West Coast.

The ingredients are all very easy to purchase, or you may even have them on hand already (like I did!). It all came together fairly quick as well (15 minutes or less). The tricky part is getting it to 160 degrees…without a candy thermometer this could prove difficult.

The result is very yummy fudge that reminds me a lot of a Hershey’s Krackle bar (which you can only find in the miniature mix now). The granola adds a crunch that is welcomed, yet in an unexpected way. Certainly a quick and easy fudge to make if you want something a bit different.

Photo from Pillsbury.com

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
1 roll (16.5 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated sugar cookies, cut into small chunks
2 bags (12 oz each) semisweet chocolate chips
5 teaspoons vanilla
6 Nature Valley® pecan crunch crunchy granola bars (3 pouches from 8.9-oz box), coarsely crushed (heaping 1 cup)*
Fresh mint sprigs, if desired

Instructions:
In 3-quart heavy saucepan or deep 10-inch nonstick skillet, cook corn syrup, butter, salt and condensed milk over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly with wooden spoon, until well blended. Reduce heat to medium-low; stir in cookie dough chunks. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and candy thermometer reads 160°F. Remove from heat.

Stir in chocolate chips and vanilla until chips are melted and mixture is smooth. Add crushed granola bars; stir until well blended. Cook over low heat 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture is shiny. Spread in ungreased 12x8-inch or 13x9-inch pan.** Refrigerate uncovered at least 2 hours or until firm.

Cut into 8 rows by 6 rows. Serve in decorative candy cups or mini paper baking cups on platter garnished with mint sprigs.

* To easily crush granola bars, do not unwrap; use rolling pin to crush bars. (Or unwrap, place in sealed plastic zip bag and use rolling pin to crush.)

** To easily cut fudge, line pan with foil so foil extends over sides of pan. Lift candy from pan using foil.

Enjoy with Love,
Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment