Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Chipotle-Yogurt Chicken Kebabs

Wow...so since my last savory dish got such a great response (on FaceBook...leave your comments here folks!), I decided to stick with it....especially since the temperatures outsides are pushing the century mark now. I discovered this dish in my Weight Watchers 5 Ingredient, 15 Minute cookbook. For the record...I always thought it was kabobs...not kebabs...but I'm going with the spelling in the books so you can find it easily.

Oh, I'll just go ahead and mention this now so you don't wonder about my ability to count...there are more than 5 ingredients in this recipe....the book assumes you have some staples on hand...like salt, pepper, cooking spray...just go with it. :-)

I didn't get many photos of this one as it was so quick and easy that I forgot to document each step. When all you do is mix up a few things, toss it in the 'fridge to marinte for an hour, it goes quickly. SO, I finally remembered to start taking photos once I had the chicken on the skewers. Now, those that know me well know that I am a tad squeamish about raw meat, especially chicken. Threading the chicken on the skewers (which I soaked in water) was not a comfortable task for me, but honestly, it wasn't hard to do. They turned out pretty even...well, for raw chicken at least.

Since I live in Fairfax County and in a condo, I am NOT the proud owner of a kick-butt gas or charcoal grill....sadly. Safety comes first here...gladly. Therefore, my grill is a George Foreman Grill...happily. I could only grill in small batches though...unfortunately. (OK...enough with the..."ly" words.) As a side note, I love my grill because it cooks both sides at the same time, no flipping and saves time! It's really easy to clean as well. These cooked up quickly and smelled amazing. The book recommends serving with a sweet-n-spicy grilled pineapple but...I don't like pineapple. So they also recommend to serve with a doctored up couscous. I just used the plain boxed couscous, but didn't get any pictures.

The flavor of the chicken is so yummy...but a bit spicy from the chipotle...I loved it, but I think someone like my mom who doesn't do spicy well would probably want to tone it down a bit. The couscous cuts the spicy a bit, and I'm sure if you did the pineapple that would add even more flavor while adding a sweetness to further cut the spicy.

Yummm...made great leftovers for lunch too.

The Recipe
Chipotle-Yogurt Chicken Kebabs

1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, minced
1 large garlic clove, crushed
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
Cooking spray

1. Combine first 6 ingredience in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Pour into a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken; seal bag, and toss to coat. Marinate in refrigerator 1 to 2 hours, turning bag occasionally.

2. Prepare grill (I just plugged in and switched on the power! HA!).

3. Thread chicken evenly onto 4 (10-inch) metal skewers (Yeah, so I didn't have those...I just used wood skewers soaked in water). Place on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 11 minutes or until done, turning once.

Yield: 4 servings, one kebab (or 1/4 the recipe). Points value: 4

Enjoy with Love,
Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment